St Andrew High School for Girls celebrates 90 years of excellence in education since its founding in 1925 and marks this important milestone with the 2015 Commemoration Service on the 90th anniversary date of the School’s founding, September 21. The service will be followed by the re-consecration of the campus the naming of 6 buildings in honour of 4 past principals and 2 vice principals. The entire event will be streamed live from this website.
Buildings to be Named:
Hall: The Margaret Gartshore Hall — the 2nd and Longest Serving Principal – January 1926 – August 1957 when she retired. (31years). Joined the staff Sept. 1925. Therefore on staff for over 31 years. The Hall has been renovated for the 90th Anniversary.
Main Building: The Doris Stockhausen Building—First and longest serving Vice Principal 1925 – 1962 (37) years. She retired in 1962.
Office Building: The Janet Gartshore Administrative Building —First Principal, served from April – Dec.1925 . She prepared the school for its opening and served for one term. Old girl Ann Hodges was instrumental in preserving the architectural detail when the building was renovated.
Old Science Block: The Mary Dawson Science Block —3rd Principal –September 1957 – August 1968 (11) years. Joined the staff in 1938 and resigned in 1948 to return to England. Therefore on staff for total of 22 years. Miss Dawson was responsible for the development of Science in the Institution. The Swimming Pool was named for her however this is not considered adequate. The Old Science Block was renovated by the SAHS Foundation 2012-2015.
Grade 11 Block: The Ashmeade/Darlington Block. Dahlia Ashmeade – 4th Vice Principal September 1978 – September 1995 (17 years) joined the staff January 1967 and retired Feb. 24, 1996. Therefore on staff for 29 years.
Norma Darlington –5th Vice Principal Sept 1979- July 1989 (10 years) joined the staff Sept. 1967 and resigned July 1989. Therefore on staff for 22 years.
During the period 1978 to 1988 when the school was on two (2) shifts Miss Ashmeade served as Vice Principal for the 1st shift and Mrs. Darlington served as Vice Principal for the 2nd shift. When the school reverted to one (1) shift both Vice Principals worked together until July 1989 when Mrs. Darlington resigned to become Principal of Shortwood Teacher’s College.
Library: The Founders Memorial Library —This beautifully renovated building was commissioned into use on Commemoration Day September 22, 2014 to the glory of God and with gratitude to the men and women of faith in the Methodist and United Churches who had the vision and courage to establish this noble institution St. Andrew High School for Girls. We stand on their shoulders and acknowledge that we are reaping a harvest of achievement from the hard work invested by those who have gone before us. We are indeed abundantly blessed.